EMERGENCY: Call “911″ IMMEDIATELY if you suspect someone is experiencing a drug overdose.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- Won’t awaken when aroused
- Bluish purple skin tones for lighter skinned people and grayish or ashen tones for darker skinned people
- Slow, shallow, erratic, or absent breathing
- Snore-like gurgling or choking sounds
- Elevated body temperature
- Irrational behavior or confusion
Signs and symptoms of drug overdose may differ depending upon the type of drug consumed.
- Allow the victim to “sleep it off.”
- Put the victim in a bath or shower.
- Leave the victim alone.
- Treat the victim with home remedies – they do not work and often postpone potentially life-saving medical treatment.
- Postpone calling “911” in order to clean up the scene.
Source: Oklahoma Department of Health